Measurement and verification assists in identifying poor energy performance of building.
Measurement and Verification (M&V) is the process of using measurement to quantify savings delivered by an energy conservation measure or measures.
M&V provides proof of the effectiveness of energy management.
Why do M&V?
- Increase energy savings
- Document financial transactions for ESCOs and state or federal incentives
- Improve design, operations and maintenance of a facility
- Account for variances from expected energy use
M&V can be used for the following examples:
- To assess the performance of a single retrofit
- To assess a facility’s total energy use
- To determine how a newly constructed building is tracking relative to projected performance
Measurement and verification of utility consumption assists the building owner in evaluating the long-term energy performance of the property. More importantly, measurement and verification is key in identifying problems with mechanical systems performance or resident behaviors that are negatively impacting energy performance.
Strategic Energy Group’s Role
Each month, Strategic Energy Group acquires the utility bills for each meter at each site, normalizes the data for weather and other factors, and evaluates the property’s energy performance against a baseline. The results are reported to ownership on a quarterly basis.
Our measurement and verification services comply with the International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP EVO 10000-1:2012). We have a Certified Measurement and Verification Professional -IT (CMVP-IT) on staff. The M&V process is best started prior to the retrofit period but can be done at any time.
By tracking the utility expenses, we can identify water leaks costing the owner thousands of dollars per year. We can determine if a previously implemented retrofit to the building is work
ing. Likewise, in a new construction building that was designed with an energy model, we can understand how the building is tracking relative to projected performance.
Pre-Retrofit: M&V plan and Baseline
1. SEG will develop an M&V plan that would outline the following:
- IPMVP option selected
- A measurement plan (including metering and sampling)
- Baseline data and static factors
- Responsibilities for data gathering
- Our calculation methods including expected accuracy
- A sample report
- Quality control procedures
2. Obtain measurements for a baseline period
Post-Retrofit: Measurements, Verification and Reporting.
1. Verify that proper equipment/systems were installed and are performing to specifications
2. Obtain data for the reporting Period and compare to the baseline period adjusted for weather and other independent variables and static factors.
3. Report Savings in energy and monetary units.
4. Ongoing, evaluate energy performance against a baseline and report quarterly.